Fractures of the knee include fractures of the patella, femoral condyles, tibial eminence, tibial tuberosity, and tibial plateau.Direct and indirect forces can cause these fractures (Dutton).
An undisplaced fracture can be treated with a full lenght plaster cast applied for 6-12 weeks. Early removal should be followed by a knee brace. This allows movement of the knee while maintaining fracture alignment.
All displaced fractures are treated surgically. Surgical fixation of the fracture can be done with either screws only, a plate and screws or a nail.
Common Complications Seen with Fractures
Schatzker classification of tibial plateau fracture is given below. It is the most commonly used classification for this fracture.
- Dutton M. Orthopaedic Examination, Evaluation, & Intervention. 2nd ed. New York: Mc Graw Hill; 2008.
- Girard, P. (2012). Effect of tibial plateau fracture on lubrication function and composition of synovial fluid. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, 94(10)
- Shah, Jehan. "Osteochondral Fracture of the Lateral Femoral Condyle Involving the Entire Weight Bearing Articular Surface Fixed with Biodegradable Screws."Journal of Pakistan Medical Association 60.5 (2010).
- MacKenzie, Caroline. "Use of Ottowa Knee Rules to Identify Fracture." Emergency Nurse 19.7 (2011): 21-2
- Miller ME, Christensen GC, Evans HE. Miller’s Anatomy of the Dog. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: WB Saunders; 1993. pp. 207–208.
- Bojrab MJ, Ellison GW, Slocum B. Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery. 4th ed. Baltimore, Maryland: Williams & Wilkins; 1998. pp. 1237–124
- Rosenberg, Norman J. "Osteochondral Fractures of the Lateral Femoral Condyle." The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 46.5 (1964).
- Zeltser, ZW, and SS Leopold. "Classifications in Brief: Schatzker Classification of Tibial Plateau Fracture." Clin Orthop Relat Re (2012).